The History of WJ Lewis Builders Merchants
'established in 1932 we remain an Independent Merchant Owned and Staffed by local People’
In 1932 Chemical Scientist Wilfred James Lewis commenced trading as a Builders Merchant from a terraced house in Werneth, Oldham. In those days he made his deliveries in a wheel barrow! His intention was to provide the best service available in the area, an ethos that remains at the core of W J Lewis today.
As the business continued to grow in reputation and size, in 1976 W J Lewis relocated to a new, larger purpose built site in Middleton now a solid base for future expansion.
Some would say one of the highlights of this era was in 1982 when the stars of British wrestling battled it out in Royton Assembly hall in honour of the 50 anniversary of W J Lewis.
The new millennium has seen further growth for W J Lewis with a number of record years and expansion with new depots in Oldham and Rochdale. Now run by the 4th Generation, service is still at the core of the companies dedication to its customers.